Validation of Great Automobile Design from the Industry's Leaders
Tuesday, January 14, 2014 • 4:55 p.m.
Cobo Center Atrium, Detroit, MI
EyesOn Design Awards are the officially-sanctioned design awards for the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS). They honor the best production and concept vehicles making their worldwide auto show debut in Detroit.
The awards are prominently displayed in design studios around the world and are merchandised as industry validation of great design.
The 2015 Ford Mustang won the award for Best Production Vehicle. EyesOn Design announced the winners of the EyesOn Design Awards at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) on Tuesday during the show's press previews. The Volvo Concept XC Coupe took home two awards: the Award for Innovation Use of Color, Graphics, and Materials, sponsored by Axalta Coating Systems, and the Award for Best Concept Vehicle, sponsored by Dassault Systemes.
The Awards are selected by active and retired design heads of automotive manufacturers and transportation design chairs from top art schools.
The 2014 panel is led by three chief judges:
- Ralph Gilles, President and Chief Executive Officer – SRT Brand and Motorsports, Senior Vice President - Product Design, Chrysler Group LLC
- Chuck Pelly, Founder and Former President of Designworks/USA, Chief Creative Officer, Intersection-Inc, and 2004 EyesOn Design Lifetime Design Achievement Award winner
- Jack Telnack, Vice President of Design (ret.), Ford Motor Company, and 2006 EyesOn Design Lifetime Design Achievement Award winner
The 2014 judges will include:
- Mark Adams, VP, Opel/Vauxhall Design, General Motors
- Charles Allen, SVP and GM (ret.), Honda R&D Americas
Anne Asensio, VP, Design Experience, Dassault Systemes
Moray Callum, VP, Design, Ford Motor Company
- Chris Chapman, Chief Designer, Hyundai Design Center
- Wayne Cherry, VP of Design (ret.), General Motors and the 2013 EyesOn Design Lifetime Design Achievement Award winner
David Cohen, Lead Designer, Subaru
- Dan Darancou, Chief Design, CH-Auto
- Willie G. Davidson, Chief Styling Officer Emeritus, Harley-Davidson
- Kevin Hunter, president, Calty Design Research, Toyota Motor Corporation
- Dereck Jenkins, Design Director, Mazda Design America
- Hubert Lee, Creative Director, Mercedes-Benz R&D North America
- Ikuo Maeda, General Manager, Mazda Design Division
- Jens Manske, Executive Director, Design Center California, Volkswagen Group of America
- Dave Marek, Senior Chief Designer and Director of Auto Design, Honda R&D Americas
- Tom Matano, Executive Director, School of Industrial Design, Academy of Art University
- Osamu Namba, Chief Executive Designer, Subaru
- Keith Nagara, Director, Transportation Design Program, Lawrence Technological University
- Ken Parkinson, Executive Director, Global Chevrolet Design and Architecture, General Motors
- Steve Pasteiner, President, Advanced Automotive Technologies
- Stewart Reed, Chair, Transportation Design, Art Center College of Design
- Tom Roney, Professor, Transportation Design, College for Creative Studies
- Pat Schiavone, Vice President, Global Consumer Design Whirlpool Corporation
- Peter Schreyer, President and Chief Design Officer, Hyundai Motor Group, and 2014 EyesOn Design Lifetime Design Achievement Award winner
- Joe Simpson, Supervisor in Vehicle Design, Royal College of Art and Design
- Mark Trostle Sr., Director of Design, Roush Industries
- Taro Ueda, VP, Design, Nissan Design America
- Franz VonHolzhausen, Design Director, Tesla Motors
- Gorden Wagener, Head of Design, Daimler AG